Description

My name is Chirag Satsangi, I am a sophomore at UNCG. I've always been interested in photography, and this blog is about how the Internet has affected modern day photographs.

Monday, November 5, 2012

F-Stop? Aperture?

We often see on a camera brochure that says "Lens: 35-105mm f-3.5-f8". The "f-3.5-f8" is called the 
F-stop or the maximum aperture of the lens. This figure is derived from dividing the focal length of the lens by the aperture opening of the lens. The aperture is the opening formed by a system of metal leaves in the lens that open up and close down to control the volume of light passing through the lens. It is the lens's equivalent of the iris of our eye


2 comments:

  1. When I first started learning about digital photography, nothing confused me more than the constant references to f-stop and aperture...I sure wish I had stumbled across something like this post then. For the sake of the world, may this post go viral!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The second I saw the word 'aperture,' the song "Still Alive" started playing in my head from Portal. :p But, I digress, I've always wanted to know how the 'system of metal leaves' of the camera lens is able to close without getting tangled with each other as it closes and opens so quickly. As a master of cameras, I'm sure you know. :p

    ReplyDelete