Description

My name is Chirag Satsangi, I am a sophomore at UNCG. I've always been interested in photography, and this blog is about how the Internet has affected modern day photographs.

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Shutter Speed

Now let’s turn to shutter speed. Depending on the make and model, your camera may offer shutter speeds from a blazingly fast 1/8000s all the way down to 30 seconds. The shutter speed controls the amount of time that the volume of light coming through the lens (determined by the aperture) is allowed to stay on the film or digital media in the camera. The same halving and doubling principle that applies to aperture also applies to shutter speed.
Let me explain. Set the shutter speed control on your camera to 500. This number denotes a fraction—500 represents 1/500 second. Now change from 500 to 250; again, this represents 1/250s. From 1/250s you go to 1/125, 1/60, 1/30, 1/15, and so on. Whether you change from 1/30s to 1/60s (decreasing the time the light stays on the film/digital media) or from 1/60s to 1/30s (increasing the time the light stays on the film/digital media), you’ve shifted a full stop. Again this is important to note since many cameras today also offer the ability to set the shutter speed to one-third stops: 1/500s, 1/400s, 1/320s, 1/250s, 1/200s, 1/160s, 1/125s, 1/100s, 1/80s, 1/60s, and so on. (Again, the underlined numbers represent the original, basic stops while the others are the newer one-third options sometimes available). Cameras that offer one-third stops reflect the camera industry’s attempts to make it easier for you to achieve “perfect” exposures. But as you’ll learn later on, it’s rare that one always wants a perfect exposure.

1 comment:

  1. I knew a girl who was big on photography in high school. She usually would photograph different events, and I saw one photo she took of the night sky - which actually ended up looking like a sunset because she changed the shutter speed. I'm actually looking to get a new camera before I go study abroad in Italy since my last one got stolen and I have some unspent birthday money from my boyfriend. I may just come take you with me so I can find a good bang per buck camera that'll fit what I want it to do without being too professional for me. :)

    ReplyDelete